Tuesday, April 29, 2008

There She Goes Again...

I am always coming and going, as my friend Mike likes to point out.

The cruise was AWESOME! I'll take any excuse to be in Key West, even for a little while, and it was so worth it (see the pineapple pancake and the stretchy cat below - I wanna be that cat!) Of course, all it did was make me want to go back for a few more days. And I did get Michael McCloud to play "She Gotta Butt" for the low low price of 2 cds and a $10 tip.

Cozumel was super fun, too - I actually did an adventure park! Climbing, rappelling, bridges, ziplining... and, okay, my butt hanging out in a Bridget Jones kind of way (If you've seen it, you get that) so I'll spare you the pics and link you to Flickr when they're ready - you can check them at your own risk! We also finally found the coolest, non-touristy bar in Cozumel - appropriately named, No Name Bar. It sure beat watching the 50-something year old ladies embarass themselves at Carlos'N'Charlies.

On the boat, I didn't eat too badly (not TOO TOO badly) or drink too much, but still somehow managed to gain about 6 pounds. So, since I feel "heavy in my running shoes" (read: sluggish and huge), I tried a detox cleanse I found at the natural foods store. It's not the nightmare people always tell you it is, and when you're coming off a massive food binge it might not be a bad idea. Just do your homework and know what your body can handle.

Enough with the overshare. (Sorry, I come from a genetic line of oversharers. My mother and brother are the worst!) ((Blogger's note: Sorry, Mom, but you know it's true.))

Oh... did I mention I got a PR? Oh yes I did! In fact, Billy, Mike, and I *all* got PR's at the Corporate Run! I was beginning to wonder how well they measured the course, but my mom seems to think we all PR'd because we're so good! (See? Momma said Nikes were my magic shoes...) I realize 37:11 isn't most people's idea of a great 5K, and that the guys came in a full 10 minutes ahead of me, but you know what? PR's make me happy, and y'all I am happy about this one! A full two minutes and change ahead of my time from the Race for the Cure in October. (Billy has a great write up on his blog about the run - and even though this is a running blog, he's a better blogging runner).

So, on to two more running-related topics: The Minnie Marathon and the Vegas Marathon.

I don't know why they call it a Minnie Marathon - it's a 15K, folks. But this is the last year they are doing it, and the last chance for a Minnie medal. Someday I want to have all of the Big 4 Disney World Running medals - I already have Donald, and I need Mickey and Goofy. Maybe in, say, 2010. Leana has all 4 now and is getting her second Minnie this year - and I hope I run into her at Disney! If not - GOOD LUCK, GIRL!!! (And good luck to Billy, who is running the Go Red For Women 5K - supporting the fight against heart disease in women!)

And when I come back from the Happiest Place on Earth, it's time to start training for Vegas. Oh boy! (say that in a Mickey Mouse voice). I have slacked off a little lately, I confess - the week of the cruise, I lifted weights once in the gym, once on the cruise, and ran and took a spin class on the boat (see? I did good on my vacation! Else I would have gained like 10 lbs...) But even with that, a PR, a 7 mile run this weekend, and a 1.5 rain-out run last night, I still feel like I need to REALLY get myself in gear for training. It's going to be a little more difficult than training was last year with the Galloway group - it was great to be surrounded by motivated people, even a few experienced marathon runners, at an organized place and time, with a map, water stops, and all the encouragement. Instead, I have B, Mike (who has been kidnapped into training for the Jax Bank Marathon and just doesn't know it yet), and Darcey and Rhonda by remote. However, I like challenges, you get to show just how tough you really are. Am I tough enough for 26.2 miles of potentially boring, dry-heat running through the desert? Can I turn down In-N-Out burger the first two days I am in Vegas? Can I run 20 miles in Auburn on my birthday when I'd rather start the tailgating at the crack of dawn?

Abso-freaking-lutely.

Here's my Galloway-inspired training plan, complete with my "extra curricular runs" I'm doing this summer:


This shouldn't be so hard after all...


No comments: