Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Winning Over a Crowd In One Easy Step

My husband will be the first to admit I'm crazy. And he'll admit he's crazy. But tonight, I actually got called crazy in public.

Scene: Urban Flats, cute little restaurant, with a Jacksonville Zoo "Wild Things" fundraiser attended by the UVa Club of Jacksonville.

Random Girl: "I'm bummed my friends can't make it but Tuesday's not good for any of them."
Me: "Tuesday's like the only day that's good for me."
Random Girl: "Oh yeah? What do you do?"
Me: "I'm training for a marathon. Monday and Wednesday are my running days."
Random Girl: "A marathon? That's just crazy!"
Random Girl's Husband: "How far is a marathon?"
Me: "Twenty-six point two miles."
Random Girl: "Wow."

So after I explain length of training, Vegas terrain and weather, weekly mileage, how far I actually run before I run 26.2 miles, etc, I adjourn back to the bar to get another glass of wine and tell Billy about what happened. We talk to a few more random folks (I tell the "War Eagle" story to a girl who wasn't sure what Auburn's official mascot is - Tigers, people, tigers) and we say our goodnights. I stop by the table where Random Girl, Random Girl's Husband, and three other girls were sitting. As we were saying bye and we'll see them at the next event, the whole "crazy runner" thing starts up again. We talked about the Gate River Run (one of the girls was a volunteer), and the lone (novice) runner at the table talked about how good it felt to run. This made me think:

Sanity is so overrated. And with that, I give you my new header quote (see above. Way above.)

No comments: