Monday, March 3, 2008

Weight A Minute

I have always liked to weight lift. Blame it on my 9th and 10th grade Girls' Weight Training classes: we'd do half a class of aerobics (to a tape, which is funny looking back on it!) and the other half was weights. I'll be honest here - they taught us more about how to do it than they did *why* we were doing it, what groups we were working, and how that would impact us in other physical endeavors (outside of a 80's Abs of Steel video). This is something I very much wish we had learned in school.

Yesterday I did my weight lifting at the good ol' JCA. I get my workouts from Weight Training for Runners, and I am currently doing the in-season training (just to get back up to speed on how to lift again, as it's been awhile.) Yesterday looked a little something like this:

* 30 min on the treadmill working on walking inclines
* Dumbell rows: 3 sets x 20 reps x 5 lbs
* Tricep kickbacks: 3 sets x 20 reps x 4 lbs
* Dumbell bench press: 3 sets x 20 reps x 7.5 lbs
* Lunges: 3 sets x 10 reps x 4 lbs (my quad was hurting, which was ODD for me)
* Leg press: 3 sets x 20 reps x 40 lbs
* Calf raises: 2 sets x 20 reps (it recommended a "calf raise machine" - what the heck is that?)
* 20 crunches (the ab cruncher machine thingie is a cruel mistress).

I am only doing two days a week at this point... I want to ease back into it now that I am at the end of my season, so that when I start my off season training in April I can do 3 days a week of lifting (and a new core training class I am super psyched about!)

Anyone else weight lift out there? Or are you like I usually am and consider "cross-training" to be synonymous with "12 ounce curls" only?

No comments: