Thursday, May 8, 2008

...But the Owner's Manual Says 93 Octane!

Most runners say they run so that they can eat whatever they want. Man, I wish that was really the case. While it's nice to think that running and working out will burn calories so that you can eat all the junk food in the world, I've noticed when I run that I can't eat that crap. My performance is horrible. I like the term "heavy in my running shoes": bloated, dehydrated, sluggish. I run better and feel better when I eat salads, lean protein, minimal dairy, and drink lots of water. Soda and alcohol are two of the things that make me feel the worst (well, except for a few sips of Diet Coke right after a race).

So, with my little injury, combined with Cinco de Mayo, Billy being out of town, and going to dinner with my parents on Friday, I have or will have been to the following places... and I'll tell you right now, I did not order the healthiest things on the menu:

La Nopalera
McDonalds
Dunkin' Donuts
Zaxby's
Five Guys
Wendy's
Chelsea
a Suns game (all you can eat burgers and dogs, plus $1 beer night)
...and I'd like to make a London Broil this weekend.

I kind of have this "enjoy it while it lasts" feeling about eating all this junk - hoping that when I can start running and working out again (cross your fingers for Monday!) that I will want to eat healthy to most adequitely fuel my body. Or, at the very least, just so I don't feel heavy in my running shoes.

No comments: