Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Few of my Favorite - New! - Things!

I already blogged about the new shoes, but that's not the only thing I have gotten lately...

Injinji Toe Socks
I had heard a few mixed reviews on these, but when I finally found them in my size at Phidippides in Atlanta, I had to go ahead and get them (plus, I had figured out the day before why I felt like I had less socks - Darcey stole my second pair of purple ones!) I get a blister where two of my middle right toes rub together, so I thought toe socks might be a good solution. Turns out, they were so comfy, I forgot I had toe socks on until I got home from running and took them off! I wouldn't go so far as to say these things were life-changing, but I really did like them.

Camelbak Rogue

The more I think about how dry Vegas is, the more I know I need to carry my own hydration. Granted, I never run without a water bottle - even for a run around the neighborhood or a 5k. I've tried to just do the water stops but I still get too dehydrated. So, I started looking into Camelbaks. This one is for biking, but it still works very well for me. I don't even mind the "slosh, slosh, slosh" that follows me around when I run. It sure beats getting dehydrated!


PowerBar Gel Blasts

I am always a little wary of anything PowerBar makes. Admit it, PowerBars are so tough you could probably build a house out of them, and those nasty gels they make would probably do well as mortar. But, they do make great recovery shakes so I figure I would give their newest product a shot. I am also wary of anything cola flavored, but what the heck, the guy at 1st Place Sports said he loved them and that I could come beat him up if I didn't love them, too. I could take him, so I figured it was a worthwhile bet. Turns out, they are AWESOME! Not nearly as gummy as Cliff Shot Blocks so they don't get stuck in your teeth, you really don't need water to get them down, and the "blast" of cola in the center isn't nearly as liquidy as I was expecting (which is good, because if you've ever had Freshen Up gum, you know how the liquid is a little weird when it first comes out). And it's not an overpowering cola taste. The bottom of the little gummy is almost kind of marshmellowy, like the back side of a peach ring. All in all, I love them - I just have to eat through the massive amount of Shot Blocks we have around here in order to get more!

No comments: