Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Overtrained?

I can tell a major difference between the way I ran last year and the way I am running this year at the same mileage marks - and it really isn't a good difference. My long runs are feeling okay, instead of great, and my short runs are feeling long. Also? I am constantly feeling like I am dragging, and between Friday night and Monday morning, I sleep about 30 hours. That's all I do all weekend. I come home from my long run, nap all day, piddle around the house, eat, and go to bed. Get up Sunday, work out, nap, church, eat, piddle, sleep. This can't be that good for me.

So I started examining the reasons behind why I am so tired and my runs are dragging. The difference between this year and last year is that now, I am actually cross-training. I do boot camp twice a week, yoga once, and I try to swim and bike at least once each per week - on top of two training runs and a long run. Boot camp lasts only one more week, fortunately, but at the same time, I almost feel like if I am not working out so much then I am not going to burn as many calories and get to eat what I want, and I'm not going to improve my cardiovascular endurance and my muscular endurance. Am I give out because I'm not in good enough shape, or am I give out because I'm trying too hard to get into good shape?

Then there is also this interesting "exercise-induced inertia" - if I keep moving working out, I'll keep moving in other areas. For example, last Saturday night, I could not sit still. If I sit on the couch, I'll fall asleep. I had to get up every five minutes to clean something. The upside is my house is spotless, but the downside is here I am scrubbing the cooktop at 11 pm when I should probably give it up and get in bed.

Somehow I need to find a balance. I'm hoping that boot camp ending will help a little, but I need to get it into my head that I am a runner, and I run. I can do a little bit of other things to cross-train, but not to the point of derailing my running. I know in the back of my mind there's a triathlon spirit, pushing me through breathless swims and grueling bike workouts so that when my triathlon comes - and I hope it will - I'll be ready. But right now isn't the time to stress the biking and swimming, because it's not important to my running, which is the main focus here. It's 144 days until the Vegas Marathon, and if I'm tired at 8 miles, then I'm going to fall over before I see the finish line. We can't have that.

So how much is too much and how much is not enough? Where do I draw the line between cross-training and overtraining?

2 comments:

Darcey said...

You've so nailed it with the overtraining. I was starting to fall into the same program (dance, bike, elliptical), and ended up only running twice a week - a training run and a long run. Those long runs were killing me.

So I'm planning on just focusing on dance and running with Wednesday mornings as my full-blown weight days. I followed my session this morning with walking hills on the treadmill for around half an hour, and will try to get some more running in tomorrow, if the lunges from today don't kill me.

Runner Leana said...

Wow, I just went through the same gamut of emotions and wrote a blog post on it. I've decided to not go back to boot camp in the fall because I want to keep running, biking and swimming. And fitting in yoga here and there. I've cut back my running from 4 days to 3 for a bit, but once I start training for Disney in September I'd really like to be able to keep up with 4 days a week. And I have got to work harder to try and get more sleep! Good luck!