Monday, July 7, 2008

Fireworks & Resolutions

At lunch today, my friend Gretchen and I were talking about fireworks and resolutions, how they happen twice a year, six months apart. And she said that while watching the Independence Day fireworks she decided she didn't have to wait for a new year to make some resolutions. She isn't the only one. I think we could all use a six month stopping point to reflect on how we're doing this year, and whether we're halfway to meeting our goals or just now getting started.

Not long into the beginning of the year, I decided to lose 30 pounds. And I did really well with the first 15, losing it before my cruise in April. However, I got off the boat and off the wagon, and since then have gained about 5 pounds. I don't know how much of it is boot camp muscle or Zaxbys and beer, but either way, I still have 20 lbs to go. It's pretty jolting to get a body assessment and realize you are carrying around 46 lbs of fat! And imagine the stress that puts on my joints when I run - and it'll only get worse as I age and my bone density isn't what it is now.

So, that being said, I'm back to the Weight Watchers and keeping the crappy food off my plate. And if you don't mind, I'd like all of you to keep me accountable. I can always use a double shot of willpower. :o)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I think you and your friend have got it right. June/July is a great time to reflect and reassess. I don't recall if I had any actual resolutions this year, I do know that I made plans to work out, get healthy, and hopefully lose weight in the process. I'm certainly falling short, although I do have a membership at the Y (I'm just using it more for the pool right now). I feel like you've inspired me to get back on track (just not today, my gym clothes are dirty). Here's to tomorrow!

holowahini said...

Amen, sista! Good luck!