Monday, July 21, 2008

This Is, After All, A Running Blog

So, let's talk about running, shall we?

My long run on Saturday ROCKED! I was a little afraid of 10 miles, since I had been feeling overtrained, but a week off of boot camp and cross training definitely helped me. I even did one of my favorite courses, but I had no idea how crowded it would be! I started out at 1st Place Sports, ran down along San Jose, to Beauclerc - I had forgotten how long it was from there to Forest Circle! But at least I saw a water fountain along the way that someone had put in their front yard. Nice! But at that point, the CamelBak was still full. I had an Espresso Love Gu (too runny) on the way, so I was electro-lit up and feeling pretty good - just wondering when the heck I would get to Forest Circle! When I got there, I did the 1-mile loop (total real estate run) and ran into the local FBI (First Babe In, for every single local race) out doing laps. I did a slingshot out of the loop, then down Scott Mill following the Jax Bank Marathon course. Down quiet Scott Mill Lane, looped around Plummers Cove, and when I got back onto Scott Mill, it all of the sudden got incredibly crowded! There were a hundred or so cyclists riding by for the MS 150 Summer Saturday Training Series. After seeing lots of Florida Gator cycling jerseys, I found a bright spot - a guy in full-on Auburn Flyers gear! Well after a break in the bikes, there came a few runners with the local Team in Training - I had no idea this route was so popular! I did another lap around Forest Circle, and that's where the "lead legs" started to hit - I had reached my lactate threshold and started pushing it. After munching a few cola Clif Shot Blocks (not too bad), I realized I just had to keep on keepin' on. Down Beauclerc, back to the aforementioned water fountain - I needed to wet down my Chilly Pad to keep cool (it was about 830ish by now), and it was an easy shot back to 1st Place. Stretched, went on home, and went about my Saturday.

All in all, I was incredibly pleased, and not nearly as stressed about being tired and sore - comes with the territory. Pain is temporary, pride is forever, and that marathon finish line is definitely attainable.

No comments: