Monday, July 7, 2008

Peachy Keen

Okay, so I am a bad blogger. But I promise I have a lot to say in this post!

Last weekend was somewhat eventful. After my 6ish mile bridge run downtown, I had a little calf pain on the left side, so I decided this was a good opportunity to get some new shoes: Nike Air Pegasus. I had always been under the impression that they only came in the trail model, but these are actually pretty sweet road shoes...

Also, I did a brick workout last Sunday - 750m of swimming followed by 40 minutes of biking (while watching Wimbledon - so happy Nadal won yesterday!). It was a pretty good workout that I would have liked to have followed with a run, but the rain and possibly my legs weren't going to allow that. But it was good to feel the transition from using my swimming muscles to my biking muscles. Overall, a very good workout for a Sunday afternoon!

Monday was boot camp, a nice strenuous workout followed by yoga, both of which were good for the craziness that was my work week. But I know nobody wants to hear about that. So I'll skip to the good stuff:

The Peachtree Road Race.

It was definitely the experience I was told it would be. And experience is definitely the word. The spectators were amazing - not just the folks working the water stops, but people with signs, posters, tshirts (including my mother and sister!), costumes, handing out watermelon, Flavor Ice, donuts, beer... and the really inspiring part was running up Cardiac Hill (which no matter how they bill it is nothing compared to the Hart Bridge from the Gate River Run) past the Shepherd Spinal Center and seeing everyone in their wheelchairs lining the road and cheering us on. They are the real heroes and incredibly inspiring. They had tons of sprinklers set up, and by the end of the race I was soaking wet! They even had an Episcopal priest sprinkling holy water! I made sure to cross myself just in case - I hadn't gotten to Cardiac Hill yet, I wasn't sure I'd make it! My time wasn't my best, but the experience was amazing! (Check out some aerial views here from the AJC. My official pictures are here.)

The weekend in Atlanta was great, too - I got to eat at some of my favorite places (Varsity and Henry's) and hang out with some of my favorite people - My mom, my sister, my stepdad, my brother, and my in-laws. Not to mention my very first trip to IKEA! (Words truly cannot describe its awesomeness...) And even though they lost, I still got to see my Braves play. (I promise that as soon as someone - anyone! - sends me some pictures, I will post them!)

So, that's my first post today. Now let me get some work done and I'll put up something that isn't in past tense!

3 comments:

Darcey said...

I didn't get a mention in your favorite people to hang out with?! Really? :P

holowahini said...

You are, I just hung out with the fam more! But it was VERY good to hang out with you - I hope you and Rhonda are serious about the Expedition Everest!

Bill said...

Great pictures! I love the from where you crossed under the bridge of photographers.