Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Guppy Goes Graceful

Swimming today went a lot better than swimming last week. B came up with my training today using swimplan.com, and I think it was perfect:

Warm up

4 x 25yd Freestyle Swim (even pace), rest 0:10 / 25yd
Freestyle swim at a steady pace.

Build up (repeat 4 times)

1 x 25yd Streamline Kicking, rest 0:10 / 25yd
Freestyle kick with arms held out front in a streamlined position. Fingers overlap with one thumb lightly gripping the opposite hand. Lift your chin above the water to breath without turning your head.
1 x 25yd Single Arm (arm by side) 6 x left, 6 x right, 6 x full stroke, rest 0:10 / 25yd
Freestyle using one arm at a time, focusing on shoulder and hip rotation. Complete 6 arm strokes with the left arm followed by 6 strokes with the right arm. The non-stroking arm is held loosely by your side.

Core

4 x 50yd Freestyle DPS, rest 0:20 / 50yd
Freestyle swim with maximum Distance Per Stroke (DPS). Concentrate on long, efficient strokes and a high streamlined body position to reduce drag in the water. Count your strokes per lap and try to reduce.
4 x 50yd Freestyle Swim, rest 0:15 / 50yd

Warm down

1 x 50yd Freestyle Easy, rest 0:15 / 50yd
Freestyle swim at a slow, relaxed pace.

I was huffing and puffing, so I know I got a workout, but at the same time it seemed like it kept getting easier and easier the more and more I swam. I almost didn't want to get out of the pool, but I did get kind of tired. I'm a little sore, but I think more of it was from boot camp than it was from swimming. But the best part was that B said I looked pretty good, and I was getting better, and that made me happy!

Oh, and as for my Vegas training schedule, I am working on updating it. Need to do a little more tweaking.

No comments: