Monday, June 16, 2008

Hydration Nation

I was out of water bottles this morning, so in order to get a bottle I could run with (and I *always* run with at least one bottle), I downed half a small bottle of Gatorade G2 (huge fan). I was afraid this would upset my stomach but I didn't have any problems. I was actually a little more hydrated than usual, given that I didn't feel the need to hit the half water/half G2 nearly as much in the beginning as I usually do. I weighed myself before and after the run and was about the same, so I know I put back as much as I lost.

I go through phases where I drink a lot of water (like maybe four 24 oz bottles a day) and then I get back on the diet coke kick. As much as I have been talking about it lately, you can tell that I have been more on the DC than anything helpful. However, I know that when I have been drinking more water all week, I race better. And, apparently, I do better when I have been drinking before the race. So as I get closer to Peachtree, I am thinking about how hot it's going to be and how much I am going to have to drink in order to not be a heatstroke casualty in the concrete jungle.

No comments: