Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body

...or so I'm told.

Boot camp kicked my butt. I am almost always dehydrated, and only having a small bottle of water was a bad idea (wasn't I just talking about hydration??) I got overheated to the point that I almost tossed my cookies. Probably the only reason I didn't was my fear of kneeling in front of a public toilet (NASTY!!!). I guess I wasn't the only one -

Drill Sargent Patrice: "Where'd you run off to?"
Private Josh: "Oh, no biggie, just had to puke."

According to B, that was the line of the night.

We did an obstacle course consisting of running across a line of Bosu balls (very hard to keep balance at first), around the outside of scattered rings in the floor (slalom running), over a line of steppers (jumping from one to the other with two feet), and then a kind of tire run, where you have to hit every hole as you run across (Sorry, I know this is requiring a lot of imagination). We did some marching, jumping jacks, tae-bo moves, and free-weight lifting. And then more obstacle course. It was pretty tiring. Maybe I am not in as much shape as I thought (maybe? Definitely!) but I can now say I know just where my anaerobic threshold is - and it's pretty low!

I begged B to stay for Monday night hippy yoga since we needed the stretch and I really missed it from last week (random Jewish holidays that fall on Mondays interfere with my hippy yoga. Makes me miss it.) I think it was good for us to stretch and relax and try to get some of the kinks out.

Of course, we decided not to come home and defrost our pork tenderloin, had to stop by the mall so B could get a big honkin' water bottle, and, well, "we earned it", so dinner was Chick-Fil-A. Can't say that we should have done that, what with the possibly undoing some pretty hard work, but between a run, boot camp, *and* yoga, there was no way I was cooking. And at least B talked me out of a quarter pounder with cheese (mmmmm!).

Tonight, we swim! Which reminds me, I need to find some more drills than swimming 250 m on my side. Time to move up in the world (or at least, the pool)!

2 comments:

Runner Leana said...

Wow, your boot camp does sound intense! Definitely hydrate beforehand...

If you are looking for some tips on swimming someone recommended Total Immsersion to me. I bought the book (thanks Amazon!), but they have a website too that you may want to check out.

holowahini said...

I have a copy of it somewhere around here. I read a few chapters but I really didn't get into it a whole lot - I think I just didn't really understand what I was reading. Fortunately, I have B, and he gets it. :o) I think I am packing the book with him on his business trip!